The microwave. The poor college student’s best friend! Pre-packaged microwave meals are always being sent in care packages from home, but eventually, we get tired of Easy Mac. Here are some recipes I’ve found that can almost be counted as real food!
Let’s start with DESSERT first because it’s college and we live on the edge!
5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug
**Add 3 tablespoons Nutella!! 🙂 (Optional, of course, but delicious!)
Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don’t be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
And for those who do not enjoy the chocolate so much:
MICROWAVE COFFEE CAKE IN A MUG
1 T. butter, softened
2 T. sugar
2 T. sour cream
a drop of vanilla
1/4 c. flour
1 T. butter
2 T. flour
1 T. brown
1 tsp. cinnamon
In the mug, cream the butter and sugar, add the
rest of the ingredients and stir well. Mix the topping in another bowl and
sprinkle on top. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until done.
Are you getting hungry yet? I am!
What about the most important meal of the day?? BREAKFAST!!
BACON AND EGG SCRAMBLER
No-Stick Cooking Spray
1/2 cup Egg Beaters reg; Original
2 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
1 tablespoon real bacon bits
2 teaspoons sliced green onion
Dash ground black pepper
Spray inside of large microwave-safe mug with cooking spray.
Stir together Egg Beaters, 1 tablespoon cheese, bacon, onion and pepper in mug.
Microwave on HIGH 1 minute. Stir; microwave 30 seconds more or until set. Top with remaining 1 tablespoon cheese. Serve immediately.
Although a very commonly skipped meal, there are some very delicious LUNCH options that are quick and easy to make in a microwave!
•Two Bagels, pre-sliced
•6 tablespoons Cup of Ragu Pizza Sauce
•1 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese
•2 tablespoons of Kraft grated Parmesan cheese
•One package pre-sliced Pepperoni
1. Spoon out about 3 tablespoons of Ragu pizza sauce and spread it evenly on each bagel slice.
2. Sprinkle about ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese on each bagel slice.
3. Sprinkle a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese on both bottom bagel slices.
4. If desired, place pepperoni slices on each bagel (Microwave the pepperoni slices for one minute before putting them on the bagel).
5. Microwave the bagel slices for one minute and fifteen seconds or until cheese is melted.
Now, stores sell many many things that are prepackaged to simply be popped into the microwave and what would a dorm room be without snacks? Here’s GABBI’S LIST OF DORM ROOM FOOD MUST HAVES:
- Easy Mac (They come in cute little disposable cups now!)
- Ramen/Cup O’ Noodles (Duh!)
- Soup (Comfort food)
- Granola/trail mix (My favorite is the Fruit and Nut Medley from Costco!)
- Some sort of bar (To grab when you’re running late for class!)
- Popcorn (Movie or no movie, let there be popcorn!)
- Favorite drink? Maybe juice boxes would fit better in your mini-fridge?? I like to have water bottles and Crystal Light single packs 🙂 yummmmm peach tea! 😀
Some kitchen utensil-type things I wish I had thought of before learning the hard way:
- Can opener
- Measuring cups (A lot of microwavable food requires a measured amount of water, milk, etc.)
- Microwavable bowl WITH A LID!! (College kids don’t clean the microwave enough as is, we don’t need to add splatters to that!)
- Pot holders! (A lot of us haven’t figured out how to not burn ourselves in our scramble for food)
- Paper plates and cups (for guests, or when you don’t feel like cleaning the dishes!)
Making good eating choices in college is very important! Knowing how to fix delicious food in the easiest way possible is one, delicious way to figure out how to make these smart, efficient eating choices! I hope I have informed you enough to never go hungry!! 🙂
By Gabrielle Boyle